Between all the boxes of decorations, Holiday party planning and Christmas card creation, it’s easy to get caught up being busy and safety can be one of the last things on our mind. Here is a quick list of tips to run through to contribute to the safety of your home while looking through those boxes of decorations.
1. Keep the pretty live trees away from heat sources. This Holiday safety tip seems simple to do but keep your tree away from fireplaces and heaters. If possible, think about moving your fire extinguisher near your tree for the Holidays. Live trees are highly flammable, due to needles and sap.
2. Continue to Hydrate your tree. A dried-out tree can catch fire faster than one that has been properly watered. Check the water level every other day to ensure proper hydration. Starting with a green tree is one way to keep it from drying out so quickly.
3. Check your lights. No matter where they go, windows, outside or even your front-steps, it’s a good idea to quickly brush-up on your Christmas light conditions. If you have a box you are unsure about, check the Consumer Product Industry Website. There is also a minimum wire size, and standards for strain relief and over-current protection.
4. Prevent electrical cord damage. Don’t try mounting lights that might damage the cords, and avoid using nails or tacks. Use hooks or insulated staples instead on your home.
5. When in doubt fake tree it! If you buy an artificial tree, make sure it’s labeled “fire resistant.” Fire-resistant trees are less susceptible to catching fire and are pretty standard but worth checking.
Be safe and also have lots of Holiday fun and make many memories!
We wish you a Merry Christmas and always reach out with questions or comments related or not to real estate. -Your Real Estate Nation Team